SUMMER 2020 UPDATES
After many days spent analyzing data, reviewing guidelines, examining potential scenarios and outcomes, we have come to this current decision on BookTrails Camps for 2020:
- BookTrails Camp will open one week late on June 15th, 2020. This will allow us to complete mandatory staff quarantines and meet newly released state guidelines. American Girl Camp is cancelled. Harry Potter Camp will be rescheduled to June 29-July 3. We are so sorry to our American Girl campers but we will be back in the future! We will be contacting all the Harry Potter Camp families for next steps. We will provide refunds to HP families who cannot reschedule to the new week.
- During the month of June, we will be running camp at 50% capacity to promote social distancing and follow the recommended guidelines. This will mean that the following camps are cancelled for 2020: American Girl Camp, Land of Stories Camp, and Camp Splash I.
- At this time, July and August camps are as follows: Cancelled Camps: Choose your Own Adventure Camp, Magic Treehouse Camp, Pioneer Camp, Camp Summits, Wild Robot Camp. Camps that will run: Hatchet Camp, Ultimate Survival Camp, Dragon Camp, Camp Wild, Ultimate Survival Camp
- Due to guidelines, we are only permitted to allow children to attend camp who reside in Routt County. We will be cancelling registrations from children who must travel from out of Routt County to attend camp in June. This policy could possibly change if there is availability of COVID testing for our campers.
New policies BookTrails will be enforcing:
- Vehicles will only transport 10 children at one time. Parents are also welcome to drive their kids to the Reading Ranch in their own vehicles, if preferred.
- All campers will be issued a free BookTrails buff-style mask on Monday. Campers and staff will be required to wear masks at all times, when possible.
- Day camp will travel to the Reading Ranch daily to best control our environment. We will not hold camp in local parks. The drive to the Reading Ranch is 40 minutes one way but we will make it fun!
- Out of town staff will complete a quarantine period before the start of camp.
- There will be no day camp, Thursday night camp-outs in June. As much as this breaks our hearts, we feel it will be the safest option until we receive more guidelines from the state.
- Campers will be placed in groups of 10 for all travel. These groups will remain static throughout their week at camp while indoors. While outdoors, groups can be increased to 25 while maintaining 6 ft social distancing.
- Daily health checks will be completed at sign-in, including temperature checks. We will ensure that there is a smooth process for parents and campers. Stay tuned.
- Only local campers will be permitted in camp for 2020. (This policy could change with access to reliable COVID testing at camp)
- Additional sanitizing and disinfectant policies at camp.
- Any students who show symptoms of COVID will be sent home and must be picked up by a parent/guardian at camp immediately. If a student is sent home with COVID symptoms they cannot return to camp for 24 hours and only if symptoms have been cleared for 24 hours. All siblings must also go home with campers who are showing any COVID symptoms. Any positive case of COVID will result in the cancelation of BookTrails Camps and notification of camp families.
- Policies can still change before the start of camp as guidelines are released.
Cancellation Policy 2020:
- Parent-initiated cancellations: BookTrails will honor all refunds for camp up until 10 days weeks before the start date of your child’s camp, minus the $5 registration fee. No refunds will be given if a parent cancels within the 10 day period before the child’s camp begins.
- BookTrails-initiated cancellations: If BookTrails is forced to close due to a change in guidelines or an outbreak of virus at camp, all camp tuitions will be refunded. If your child’s camp is cancelled mid-week, we will provide a daily prorated refund for the days your child missed.
BookTrails is a nonprofit organization and we feel a responsibility and commitment to our community to offer youth programming under the appropriate guidelines. We recognize that this decision is not favorable for all of our BookTrails families and we regret that we are not able to offer original camp spots due to COVID guidelines. We will attempt to link open spaces from parent cancellations with campers who lost their spaces due to required cancellations. We are also exploring ways to add new spaces in July and August. BookTrails is prioritizing the safety and health of our community and we feel that these new policies are the only way we can try to offer camp in 2020.
If your child’s camp was cancelled, or you would like to cancel, please fill-out this form to determine your cancellation preferences: FORM
How are you changing policies for COVID?
We are following the recommendations from the CDC, ACA (American Camp Association) and State of Colorado. These entities have released very detailed guidelines on how to implement safe protocols at camp. You can find these guidelines here.
What happens if my child’s camp was cancelled?
We are so sorry if your child’s camp was cancelled. Children who were registered for cancelled camps can be entered into a lottery for open spots in the camps the same week as the cancelled camp. Please contact us at Annmarie@steamboatbooktrails.org if this interests you by June 1st. Children who were registered for cancelled camps who are on waiting lists for running camps will be given preference for open spots. We will also give preference to children who were registered for cancelled camp for 2021 spots.
Can my child be transferred into another spot if their camp was cancelled?
Our camps are currently full. Children who were registered for cancelled camps can be entered into a lottery for open spots in the camps the same week as the cancelled camp. Please contact us at Annmarie@steamboatbooktrails.org if this interests you by June 1st. Children who were registered for cancelled camps who are on waiting lists for running camps will be given preference for open spots.
What is your Cancellation Policy this year?
Parent-initiated cancellations: BookTrails will honor all refunds for camp up until 10 days before the start date of your child’s camp, minus the $5 registration fee. No refunds will be given if a parent cancels within the 10 day period before the child’s camp begins.
BookTrails-initiated cancellations: If BookTrails is forced to close due to a change in guidelines or an outbreak of virus at camp, all camp tuitions will be refunded. If your child’s camp is cancelled mid-week, we will provide a daily prorated refund for the days your child missed.
How will pick-up and drop-off happen this year?
Pick-up and Drop-off will include changes this year. Stand-by for more information.
Does my child really have to wear a mask at camp?
Campers will be required to wear a mask at camp at all times when 6ft social distancing is not possible. We will be issuing a free buff-style mask at sign-in. We anticipate that campers will need to wear a mask for about 20% of their day. This includes sign-in/sign-out, van rides, group activities where social distancing is not possible, and if we have to be indoors for inclement weather. Our staff is designing our summer curriculum towards activities that do not require the mask due to proper social distancing, like hiking and outdoor-based activities.
Since you are not able to offer the camp-out, do we receive a $50 refund?
We are not offering refunds because of the increased cost of daily travel to the Reading Ranch. To offer our program this summer under COVID guidelines, costs will exceed what we have charged for tuition. Thanks to generous donors and local foundations, we are still able to run. If you would like to discuss this further, we are happy to explain, contact email@example.com